Lets stay safe on the road to and from work
Recent accident in North York struck close to home. A lady was killed by a vehicle in the area where we have a number of clients. Our associates use same streets to get to and from work.
TORONTO -- A 26-year-old woman was fatally struck by a tractor trailer in an industrial area of North York on Tuesday morning.
One of the saddest statistics of 2019 was the number of pedestrian fatalities in Toronto. If you watch the news it seems to be an almost daily occurrence and it strikes a chord for all of us. A lot of changes will need to be made to address this growing issue including comprehensive road redesign, revised speed limits, adding traffic calming measures, and putting physical protection between vehicles and pedestrians. And while municipalities across the GTA are working on it we as employers could do our part as well and remind our associates of pedestrian safety.
The following safety tips are suggested by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation:
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Cross only at marked crosswalks or crossovers. Don't cross in the middle of the block or between parked cars.
- Make sure drivers see you before you cross. If the driver is stopped, make eye contact before you step into the road.
- Wear bright or light-coloured clothing or reflective wear, especially at dusk or when it's dark.
At a traffic light:
- Cross when traffic has come to a complete stop.
- Begin to cross at the start of the green light or “Walk” signal, where provided.
- Do not start to cross if you see a flashing “Do Not Walk” symbol or the light turns yellow. If you already started to cross, complete your crossing in safety.
- Never cross on a red light.
- Watch for traffic turning at intersections or turning into and leaving driveways.
Ultimately, these TIPS are common sense; we all know them, since the childhood. Yet a simple reminder would not hurt. Stay alert and safe on the roads weather you are a driver or a pedestrian.
Please share these with your employees and lets all stay safe on the road!