When it comes to sourcing and hiring new workers, there are a variety of options available to employers. Two of the most common methods are using a job board or a staffing agency. While both can be effective, there are pros and cons to each that should be considered before making a decision.
Job boards are online platforms that allow employers to post job openings and allow job seekers to search for and apply to those openings. Some popular job boards include Indeed, Monster, and LinkedIn. Here are some pros and cons of using job boards when looking for new workers:
1. Wide Reach: Job boards typically have a large audience, which means employers can reach a wide pool of potential candidates.
2. Cost-Effective: Posting jobs on job boards is often less expensive than using a temp agency, making it an attractive option for employers on a budget.
3. Control: Employers have control over the entire hiring process, from screening candidates to conducting interviews and making job offers.
1. Time and Resource-Consuming: Sorting through resumes, applications and interviewing can be time-consuming, especially if the job posting attracts a large number of applicants or if needed to fill multiple roles at the same time.
2. Limited Insight: Employers may not have a clear understanding of a candidate's qualifications beyond what is included in their resume or application.
3. Competitive: Because job boards are accessible to a wide range of job employers may face a lot of competition when it comes to attracting top talent.
Staffing agencies are third-party organizations that specialize in providing employers with temporary or temp-to full time workers for a variety of roles or helping to engage workers who are OK to start as Temporary workers, but later if this option is available, may be transferred to a full time role with in the organization. Agencies handle the entire hiring process and are responsible for paying the worker's salary, taxes and benefits. Here are some pros and cons of using temp agencies when looking for new workers:
1. Flexibility: Temp agencies provide employers with flexible staffing options, as they can hire workers on a short-term or long-term basis, depending on their needs. Great for companies that have uneven production schedules, or would like to test the worker in action before commiting to a full time hire.
2. Cost-Effective: While temp agencies charge a fee for their services, employers safe its own staff time and resources, that can be used on other direct business needs. Agency will handle candidate sourcing, screening, and vetting for you, HR functions and payroll administration.
3. Risk- Reduction. You can also reduce risk for your business. Since the temp agency is the employer of record for the workers they place and are responsible for employment-related tasks, such as payroll and taxes, etc., you don't have to worry about the legal and financial obligations that come with hiring a new employee.
4. Expertise: Temp agencies have expertise in finding and hiring temporary workers, in most cases they use already screened and veted candidates who are ready to accept the assignment right away, helping you get the staff you need faster.
1. Limited Control: Employers may have less control over the hiring process when using a temp agency, as the agency handles much of the screening and interviewing process.
2. Limited Pool: Temp agencies may have a more limited pool of candidates than job boards, as they typically only work with job seekers who are registered with their agency.
3. Less Permanent: Temp workers are typically not permanent employees, which means employers may need to hire and train new workers more frequently than if they were hiring permanent employees.
When it comes to finding and hiring new workers, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Both job boards and temp agencies have their pros and cons, and employers should consider their specific needs and budget when making a decision. For employers who need flexibility and are willing to pay for expert assistance, a temp staffing agency may be the best option. For those who have the time and resources to screen and interview candidates themselves, a job board may be the way to go. Ultimately, the decision should be based on what works best for the employer's unique situation.
If your organization is interested in partnering with the staffing provider to facilitate the services of temporary or on demand workers -Alliance Employment Services will be glad to assist. With more than 20 years of servicing Industrial businesses in GTA area we have the infrastructure and resources to serve you. Learn More